March 29, 2004

California offers its two bits

At long last, the design for the California edition of the state quarters has been revealed. I can't remember if this is the design that I voted for, but I know it was one of my top choices. The only thing I don't like about this story is the accompanying picture, with Gov. Arnold and his cheesy movie star smile.

And I have to wonder if there actually are any CA Condors in Yosemite. I don't know that I've ever seen any there, but you would think that maybe they'd check on that before sticking one in there, wouldn't you? I probably wouldn't have placed it where they did, so that it looks like it's about to take poor John Muir's face off.

I don't know how many people are collecting the state series of quarters (a lot of people I know are, as am I, though I think I'm a bit behind), but I do look forward to seeing them as they come out. I don't particularly like all of them but I make sure I get a pretty, shiny one anyway. :-) This article from 2002, when 19 of the quarters had been issued, I found interesting as it made me aware of the patterns into which the state designs fall and how downright bad some of them are!