January 11, 2008

No Worries (and yes, they really do say that a lot)

Greetings from Australia! I'm sure this is going to show that I'm writing this on Friday night, but it's actually Saturday evening here in Victoria. We've left Melbourne for a little while and we're rusticating in the country for some R&R.

Right now I'm atop Mt. Buller, attending a beer festival. The beer I tried was good, but the arm wrestling competitions were far better! They have music and some comedy, as well, and everyone is having a fine time. The only fly in the ointment is the bloody flies. They're E V E R Y W H E R E, CONSTANTLY!!! It really gets annoying quite quickly -- I'm thinking about buying a mosquito netting for my hat, which I saw in a store here earlier. I thought they were bad in Melbourne along the river, but so far the Mansfield area is definitely holding its own.

There's a lot to share, but it's going to have to wait until I have a little more time. Finding an Internet connection out here isn't the easiest thing, though we've had good success at public libraries. The terminal I'm on now is in the middle of a ski resort (of all things) and you pay in 20 minute chunks. But there's beer to be had and music to be enjoyed before we head back down the mountain, continuing our search for koalas. We've spotted some kangaroo and tons of wild cockatoos, but thus far the koalas and wombats have kept themselves hidden. Next time I post, hopefully I'll be able to share some pictures.