February 29, 2008

Ah, Elbert, we hardly knew ye

"An ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of cleverness." - Elbert Hubbard

Personally, I think there's a lot to be said for cleverness. But loyalty, that's an animal of another, far more rare, color.

I've always wondered why that is; why it's so difficult for people, friends in particular, to be loyal for the long haul. I don't mean friends of mine necessarily -- I think I've lucked out in that department and I would hope they might feel the same way -- but in the stories I've heard people tell about how so-called friends have back-stabbed, bad-mouthed, sold-out or otherwise been awful to someone close to them.

I've got no answers, but as we wrap up our little week of quotes from Mr. Hubbard, lets take a moment to be thankful for the loyal people we do have in our lives.

Then go borrow twenty bucks from them.