June 23, 2005

Lightening-a-rama

Greetings from Flagstaff, AZ or, as it should be known right now, Lightening Central.

Who, can you tell me, expects there to be pouring rain, rumbling thunder and wicked lightening in the desert in June?? I certainly didn't, as my wardrobe for this trip could certainly attest. The only pair of shoes I even brought are sandals! (Rita, feel free to express your shock at this.)

There I am in the Grand Canyon, expecting it to be so hot that I'd be near-miserable, running around in my cute little shorts and top and sandals, and raindrops the size of gumballs are pelting me from above. I actually had to shell out for one of those flimsy, plastic ponchos!

We still got to see a great deal of the South Rim, although the lighting and clouds were more dramatic than might be best for good pictures. We'll have to wait and see how they look when I get back. If there are any good ones, I'll post them. Because of the weather, we didn't do any real walking about and such, but we got a good taste of the place.

On the drive back to Flagstaff, though, the lightening was truly magnificent. We were up high enough that we could see it all along the horizon, and it was hard for me to keep my eyes on the road instead of the sky. I should mention that my mom hates lightening in equal proportion to how much I love it, so needless to say only one of us was delighted by the display Mother Nature was putting on for us.

Tomorrow we head back to Las Vegas in order to catch our flight home. I wish I'd planned to stay another night at the Wynn on the way back -- the place was so amazing. Hmm, now that I think about it, I'm sure Southwest would be more than happy to switch our flight to Saturday...

Hey, Mom, can I see that credit card of yours again for a minute? :-)