March 18, 2008

Confession

I have something that I feel the need to confess here. Doing this has been on my mind for a while and I think it's time to put it out there.

But I'm worried.

I'm worried that you're going to think poorly of me, that you'll lose some respect for me after I come clean. Because once it's said, let's face it, you can't go back and be the person someone thought you were moments before.

It's time, though; I've held back too long and I feel like a fraud. I'll just have to deal with any fallout and hold my head up high, as I know my real friends will stand behind me, regardless.

So here goes: I don't like the works of Dr. Seuss. I don't like the books, I don't like the artwork from them, I don't like the movies made based on them. I don't wax nostalgic about his impact on my childhood, reading The Cat in the Hat for the first time, or the deeper meaning of the Lorax. I don't get giddy when Christmas approaches and the Grinch is referenced every five minutes or so. Never have, never will.

The hullaballoo and media blitz surrounding the release of the Horton Hears a Who! was a little overwhelming and I held out long as I could. Now it's said and I feel better. Oh, and while I'm at it, I don't like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, apple cider, reading newspapers, saying the Pledge of Allegiance, iPods, or Everybody Loves Raymond. Come to terms with it.