July 08, 2004

Lesson learned

Never proclaim in a public forum that you're finally feeling relaxed. Because (my) nature abhors a vacuum, that's like asking for trouble. All day I've had a backache that almost nothing could touch, so at this point I'm feeling a little cranky and tired and this is going to be short.

Go over and vote in the new poll -- I'm curious to see how others fare with our fair foliage friends. Then read this article from Slate that cracked me up today. I really admire this lady's guts in trying out all these different things, and I think this is the gutsiest one thus far.

After reading the very end of the article, I had something terribly insightful to say about complacency in relationships and the power of remembering that you're involved with a man or a woman, not just a husband or wife, and doing something to acknowledge that fact every once in a while, even if it puts you outside your comfort zone. But now, many hours later, all I can think is, "Aw, what the hell do I know, anyway?" Whenever this kind of topic comes up in discussion with women or men, who are generally complaining about the lack of something in either their relationship or their mate, I will express that idea in some form or another. Invariably, the sentiment that comes back to me -- whether directly or indirectly -- is, "You don't understand what it's like when you're married." (It's only slightly less emphatic from someone in a not-married, long-term relationship.)

So, in an effort to actually put into action a lesson I should have learned by now, I will squelch the impulse and hope that you're very comfortable in your sweats and T, wherever you are.