January 25, 2004

Undecideds, raise your mallets!

Still trying to decide which of the Democrats has the best chance of taking on Bush? The California Primary is still more than a month away, and who knows if any of the current five top candidates will have dropped out by then. But if, like me, you haven't figured out which of them has what it will take to even make it a real race in November, I've got just the thing for you: Whack-a-Pol!

I'd love to be able to say that one of the Dems has a message that really resonates with me and that I'm ready to throw my support behind him, but so far, no dice. Given that what we're going to hear from them between now and the election is going to be more and more rhetoric designed for mass appeal, and less and less about truly meaningful ideas for real change, my basis for voting is going to hinge on one thing: Can he beat Bush? At this point, that's the best I can hope for.

I used to think that the worst thing that could happen to the U.S. was for Dan Quayle to be elected President. Ha! If I'd given much thought to terrorism landing on our shores, I might have picked that. But, to me, even that comes in second to what "Flubya" has done and will continue to do to it.