September 09, 2004

Antevigil

I am, in fact, going to attend the candlelight vigil tonight. It would be accurate to say that I am both looking forward to it and am nervous about doing it. The e-mail I got confirming my participation encourages people to take digital camera pictures, so it's possible that I'll have something along those lines to share. But maybe not -- depends on the vibe, as far as I'm concerned. So I'm off in a minute to go buy a candle -- mine are all still packed -- and it will be a purple one, in case you were wondering.

You know how "they" say that, eventually, we all turn in to our parents? It just hit me that my conflicting feelings about this are probably directly related to the characteristics I inherited from my parents -- I think my dad would be looking forward to it and I think my mom would be nervous about doing it.

The somewhat nervous part of me feels that I should mention that if I don't post later tonight about how it went, I'm probably sitting in jail. Is that likely? No. I just have this image of a bunch of angry vets showing up and it turning ugly. It's not supposed to be, it's supposed to be very quiet, dignified and non-political. But you never know. This would likely be why I don't normally attend these kinds of events -- fear of the unknown.

Damn, better make sure that my cell phone is fully charged, huh?