February 20, 2004

Spam scam

A cautionary article from Eric Sinrod, a very nice lawyer (no comments about that being an oxymoron, please) I had the pleasure of hearing speak recently at local meeting of some attorney's group -- I was "playing attorney" for the lunch, in place of my boss -- and whose newsletter list I subsequently got on without requesting it. (No, the irony is not lost on me.)

I can just imagine, given the combination of the recent hype over the Do Not Call Registry, the recent Federal anti-spam legislation and how so many people overall are just plain naive about the Internet, that this fake spam registry will get more than a few people happily handing over their addresses. Don't be one of them! Believe me, when there's an actual Do Not Spam Registry, you'll hear all about it on the local news.

If by any chance you're interested in receiving his e-mails (essentially letting you know that he has a new column and, briefly, what it's about), please let me know and I'll send you the info. Since the area he covers actually relates to my job, I decided to keep getting them. And, hey, how many nice lawyers do you actually get e-mail from these days?!?