March 09, 2005

Do you know this boy? Well, don't lose him, for cryin' out loud!



If you don't know who he is, where have you been? This is Flat Stanley, of course!

Still not ringing any bells? Here's a story about his recent appearance on the red carpet, and here's the home of all things Flat Stanley.

The first time I heard about the Flat Stanley Project was a number of months ago from Rita, who I hope will chime in on the comments and share a little bit about her experience with him. I was floored because I thought I was the only one around who even remembered Flat Stanley!

I very fondly remember the book, Flat Stanley, from when I was a kid. But as an adult, whenever I would mention him or the book -- usually when someone dropped something down a grate or the like that only Flat Stanley could retrieve -- no one seemed to know what I was talking about.

So I was thrilled to hear that not only was he "alive and kicking," he was helping to get kids interested in reading and learning. I'm a little jealous that he's now more well-travelled than I, and disappointed that not being a teacher or parent I can't directly participate in the Project (though, sadly, I understand why that's necessary), but I find the idea of it going on all over the world very inspiring. Maybe eventually he'll find his way to my doorstep through a more circuitous route than I can envision. In the meantime, maybe I'll just have to catch up on all the other Flat Stanley books that I didn't even know had been published!

How about you -- do you have a Flat Stanley story to share?