August 20, 2004

Eh, he's good but he's no Reuben

I love food. I love to eat. I love to eat out. But I am also known as being pretty picky about my food. There are a lot of foods that I flat-out don't like, and a number of combinations of foods I won't go near. It would be fair to say that "texture issues" are a common theme, though that's something a number of people I know don't really seem to understand, as becomes clear whenever the subject comes up. Good example: Potato salad. I adore it, but put anything crunchy in it, like celery or red pepper, and I won't eat.

Because of this, eating out and trying new concoctions can be an interesting challenge at times, but one I always enjoy. And while I know I won't be going to Jersey anytime soon to try it, this sandwich strikes me as pretty intriguing. Potentially artery-clogging, sure, but so yummy-sounding! The sweetest part is that it flies in the face of the B.S. of the anti-carb craziness.

Sandwiches really are many-splendored thing that we sometimes take for granted. The variety of the standard ones alone is impressive, but when you throw in more original ones like the Fat Darrell the number is almost staggering. While (of course!) I won't eat it when it's prepared in the traditional way -- I don't eat rye bread and don't like Swiss cheese all that much -- the Reuben is one of my favorite sandwiches when you sub in sourdough bread and Monterey Jack cheese. A terrifically abominable corruption to food purists I'm sure, not to mention another disgraceful example of the Californiafication of classic cuisine, but I like what I like.

Hmm, think I sense a case of the munchies coming on. Anyone up for a Dagwood? Make mine the one without onions, please.